1) Today is Hayden’s birthday. He is seventeen which is a very bizarre thought to me until he walks over and, looming above me, begins to speak in his deep voice.
Just about every time I look at him, he needs to shave.
So I guess it’s good that he’s seventeen because he’s be an awfully scary looking ten year old.
2) While it’s not technically a birthday present, he does have a new-to-him car. It’s much more suited to a gigantic teenage boy than the Prius was, but he’s mourning the loss of gas mileage. The Prius is now with Reagan at college. I thought that meant we might see her a bit more.
That’s ok. I have Instagram so I can creep on her any old time I choose.
3) Faith and I finished painting the paneling in the family room. Like most of the things in life that I put off doing because I dread the process, I truly regret not doing it sooner. It looks amazing. As Faith said, “It’s amazing what a bucket of white paint can do.”
I’ll put off posting a wide shot until the walls are painted, but here are the bookshelves on either side of the fireplace:
I love them.
I’m a bit at a loss about the actual mantle though.
I don’t what to put on/above it. I have the knick-knacky objects in the shelves so I don’t want more of that. The paneling squares on the wall mean that hanging a picture is kind of out.
Or is it?
I don’t know. All of my (limited) decorating skills come from watching too much HGTV and they’re really into tiling fireplace surrounds right now so that’s no help.
4) Three more days until spring break. Three looooooong days.
5) Can we have spring break if we’re still freezing to death? If there’s not even a hint of a daffodil in the yard? If robins are nowhere to be seen?
6) Right now I should be scrubbing base boards and taping them off to start painting tomorrow. I’m kinda tired of painting though.
7) But I’m more tired of living in a half finished project.
That’s all I’ve got today. Any advice on the fireplace situation is welcome!