I found this recipe for baked oatmeal and it was good but needed some tweaking to suit my family. Plus, as much as I like chocolate, I don’t really like it in my breakfast food. So here is my revision. Serves 6-8
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup l+ 3 Tbsp ight brown sugar (divided)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or whole blueberries (divided)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 ripe bananas, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
1) Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9x9 square baking pan with cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the oats, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, walnuts, and 1 cup berries.
3) In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
4) Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining berries on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything.
5) Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. Sprinkle the remaining 3 Tablespoons of sugar on top during the last 5 minutes.
6) Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes to firm up a bit. Cut into squares and serve with maple syrup.