If you want to make people happy, make this punch. Seriously - it’s that simple. It’s also great as a make ahead item. You can make the coffee cubes any old time and keep them in the freezer and brew the rest of the coffee a couple of days ahead. The day of the party, just dump it all in a bowl, stir and … voila! Happiness! Just be sure to use really good ice cream (I like Breyer’s vanilla bean). The store brand stuff will separate and look gross in the bowl.
Excuse my photo quality. These were taken with a cell phone in a school cafeteria under fluorescent lights. I swear this tastes better than it looks here.
- Ice cube trays - preferably six of them, otherwise you have to make cubes in shifts.
- 2-3 pots of brewed coffee, chilled. Enough to fill the ice cube trays with 9 cups leftover.
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups milk. Use skim to make your hips happy or whole to make your heart and soul happy.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 quarts good quality vanilla ice cream
1) Fill the ice cube trays with cooled coffee and freeze until solid. If not using in the next day or two, pop the cubes out of the trays and store them in a freezer bag.
2) About 15 minutes before serving, in a punch bowl, mix together the rest of the coffee, vanilla extract, milk and sugar. Stir well. Add the ice cubes and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
3) Ladle into glasses, making sure to get an ice cube or two in each cup.